Written by Taylor Prichard, Sports Information with contributions from GoXavier.com
The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team will head to Montreal, QC this weekend to take on the NCAA’s Xavier Musketeers (Cincinnati, Ohio) on Sunday, August 9th.
Carleton will be playing its first game of the preseason against Xavier, an opponent that returns four starters and thirteen letterwinners for the 2015-16 season.
Carleton finished in second place in the OUA’s North division last season with a 9-10 record. While the team was knocked out of the 2015 OUA playoffs in the opening round, Carleton will look at the Xavier game as a good early season barometer.
The Ravens return all five starters from its OUA playoff exit, including Stephanie Carr, Abeer Farhat, Elizabeth LeBlanc, Heather Lindsay and Natasha Plaskacz. These players will be counted on to set the tempo for the rest of the squad as the team aims to improve during the 2015-16 campaign.
The game will take place at Champlain College Saint-Lambert, Longueuil, Quebec at 2 p.m.
• Head coach Brian Neal led the Musketeers to a 10-win improvement in 2014-15 from the previous season (18-15 vs. 8-23), finishing the year ranked ninth nationally in win improvement. Xavier also posted a winning season and participated in a postseason tournament for the first time since the 2010-11 campaign.
• Xavier led the BIG EAST in three-point field-goal percentage defense (.312) last season, while ranking third in steals (8.1 spg), scoring defense (65 ppg) and free-throw percentage (.710).
• Briana Glover led the squad in scoring a year ago, averaging 10.8 points per game. The senior forward posted the third highest shooting percentage in the BIG EAST, knocking down 52.2 percent of her shot attempts.
• Xavier also returns its only other double-figure scorer from a year ago in Raeshaun Gaffney. The junior guard averaged 10.4 points per game and led the team in made free throws (94-for-122).
• The Musketeers return their top two rebounders from last season in Leah Schaefer (5.0 rpg) and Jenna Crittendon(4.8 rpg).