Ravens News

MHKY | Colonel By Classic flag comes back to the Ice House

Written by Stuart Miller-Davis

Photo by Marc Lafleur

OTTAWA, Ontario -Shootout heroics from goalie Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) sent the Ravens faithful into frenzy as the Carleton Ravens scored three goals in the third period to win 4-3 over the uOttawa Gee-Gees in the 3rd annual Colonel By Classic against at TD Place Arena.



“We never believed we were going to lose this game,” said the Ravens’ goaltender. “We stayed positive and knew we were going to get to the 2 goals to come back and I just had to keep making saves to keep the boys going.”

Seven minutes into the game the Ravens got their first big scoring chance when Brett Gustavsen (Scarborough, ON) and Aaron Boyd (Winnnipeg, MN) found themselves in open space in front of the Gee-Gees goal and Gustavsen sent a one-time pass to Boyd who fired the puck on a seemingly empty net but was left looking skyward as Gee-Gees goalie Anthony Brodeur slid across to rob the first year forward with his glove. The period ended scoreless with Carleton unable to solve Brodeur and Ravens goalie Francois Brassard getting the better of the uOttawa offence.

The Gee-Gees scored the game’s first goal when forward Kevin Domingue sped in on the wing and barreled his way to the front of the net and slipped a quick wrist past Brassard low on the glove side. With three minutes left in the second, the Gee-Gees doubled their lead when Marc Beckstead stepped out of the penalty box and sent forward Quinn O’Brien in on a breakaway. He took a wrist shot that Brassard stopped but couldn’t control as the puck trickled past him to give uOttawa the two-goal advantage.

The Ravens entered the third period trailing 2-0 and behind 20-19 in shots on goal.

Halfway through the third, the Ravens cut the Gee-Gees lead to one, when defenceman Josh Burnside fired a point shot passed a screened Anthony Brodeur for his second goal of the season.

Two minutes later the Gee-Gees responded with a power play marker of their own when the Ravens lost the puck behind their own net and forward Eric Locke recovered the loose puck and found Cody Drover wide open at the top of the face-off circle. Drover quickly fired a wrist shot that beat Brassard high on his blocker side to restore the 2 goal lead.

With under five minutes remaining, Carleton responded when defenceman C.J Garcia (Pickering, ON) held the puck in at the blueline and then stepped in and fed forward Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) and he fired a shot that beat Brodeur for his fifth goal of the season.

With 1:12 left, Boyd sent Jake Smith (Oshawa, ON) on a breakaway and he beat Brodeur with a wrist shot up over the Gee-Gees goaltender’s blocker to tie the game up at 3-3.

Overtime solved nothing between the two bitter rivals and for the second time this season a shootout was needed to end the game.

“It was in the back of my mind that we lost to these guys last time in a shootout,” said Brassard on his mentality heading into the skills contest. “I was just trying to stay come and let them make the first move.”

Matthew Forchuk (Okotos, AB) and Smith beat Brodeur in the shootout while Brassard stopped Domingue and forward Yvon Mongo to ensure the Ravens would be bringing the Colonel By banner back to the Ice House.

The Ravens are on the road on Saturday night to take on the McGill Redmen in Montreal at 7 p.m.

“We’d like to enjoy this one a little bit but that’s the hard part about this is that you don’t get a long time to enjoy a win,” said Ravens head coach Shaun Van Allen about the quick turnaround. “McGill’s a real good team and it won’t be all that different from what we faced tonight.”

#33 Francois Brassard–Goalie– 3rd year – Gatineau, QC


Carleton vs.
 McGill Redmen

Saturday, November 17-7 p.m.

Montreal QC.