Ravens News

FB | Ravens score first ever win over Laurier to secure playoff spot

Written by Ally Conlon

Photo by Valerie Wutti

WATERLOO, Ontario – For the first time since 2013, when the Ravens football team was reinstated, they defeated the Laurier Golden Hawks on the road by a final score of 22-10.

After receiving the opening kickoff, Ravens QB, Tanner DeJong, immediately handed the ball off to RB Josh Ferguson for an 80-yard run, giving the Ravens ground game some momentum. Not long after, the Ravens were granted two points by Laurier’s offence with a conceded safety making the score 2-0 at the end of the first quarter.

As soon as the clock started the second quarter, Ravens K Vincent Plouffe hit an 11-yard field goal to give the team more comfortability on the board leaving it at 5-0. As Golden Hawks K, Nathan Mesher, took the field for a punt return, Ravens DL Tevin Bowen came out strong and blocked the kick. The Ravens  ended up recovering the ball.

Carleton’s defence was outstanding as Ravens DB Danny McWhirter surprised the Golden Hawks offence and landed his first of three interceptions of the game resulting in a touchdown for the Ravens. With Plouffe making another field goal, this put the Ravens ahead even more leaving the score 12-0 going into the second half.

In the 3rd quarter, Laurier WR, Julian Mitchell, landed a few first downs for the Golden Hawks but they could not find the endzone. The Ravens defence remained relentless, holding the Golden Hawks at zero. This proved frustrating for Laurier as Plouffe hit a 39-yard field goal giving the Ravens another three points making the score 15-0.

To start the 4th quarter, Golden Hawks K, Nathan Mesher, landed a 41-yard field goal to put his team on the board for three points. Soon after, Ravens McWhirter grabbed his third interception of the game on Golden Hawks QB, Connor Carusello.

“It’s a crazy feeling,” said McWhirter afterwards in regard to his interceptions. “It was all or nothing and that’s how I played.”

The Golden Hawks offence responded with their first touchdown of the game with WR Brentyn Hall making a 71-yard catch. With minutes left in the game, Ferguson ended up giving the Ravens offence their first touchdown, ending the game with a score of 22-10.

“Our defensive line played like crazy,” said McWhirter. “We left everything we had out there on the field, we had no other choice.”

With the win, the Ravens secured their spot in the OUA playoffs with the winner to be decided later this weekend.-

“To come here with a playoff game on the line is huge,” said Ravens head coach, Steve Sumarah. “The emotion on the sideline was a sense of relief and ecstatic knowing we get to play another game.”